Election Coverage Objectives
- Do you think the media uses credible sources of information to highlight their stories?
- In your opinion, do you think the social media is a credible source of news?
- Do you believe that the media in Kenya are the most truthful and credible?
- Do you think media owners can influence the objectivity of a news story?
- Do you think opinion polls influence election coverage in terms of airtime and space?
- Is the media doing enough to separate facts from opinions?
Balanced/Free & Fair
- Do the media provide free and fair coverage to all political parties especially during the campaign period?
- Has the media been able to provide fair coverage to women?
- Have we see an equitable media coverage of all interested groups
- Do you think media houses in Kenya ensure accuracy and fairness in their stories?
- Has the media been able to represent facts correctly?
- Is the media highlighting election related programs accurately?
Accountability/Honesty free from external influences
- Do you think the Kenyan media are influenced by powerful groups with vested interest to manipulate the direction of the story?
- Do you think the media accepts favors, and special treatment from politicians to suppress the truth?
- Do you think the media council of Kenya is doing enough to ensure responsible journalism?
Promotion of National cohesion
- Do you think the media is doing enough to promote national cohesion?
- Is the media capable of promoting a Kenyan identity and national cohesion within a global context?
- Can the growth of ethnic language radio stations promote national cohesion?
Giving women a voice
- Do you think that the media has played a role in women empowerment?
- Has the media contributed in mobilizing Kenya women to take up various political leadership positions, civic, gender and human rights awareness?
- Would you support a proposal to reserve some parliamentary constituencies for women candidates to ensure the next Parliament has at least 1/3 women?
Giving marginalized and vulnerable groups a voice
- Do you think that ethnic radio stations continue to play a functional role in empowering marginalized and excluded voices particularly at the grassroots?
- Do you believe that the media can serve the interests of all Kenyans equitably?
Conflict sensitive journalism avoiding hate speech
- Are ethnic language radios politically captured hence propagating hate speech?
- Do you believe the social media is being used as a tool of hate speech?
- Does the media have the capacity to execute a positive influence towards peacebuilding through providing non-partisan news and reports about different opinions
Interest of the population-put people voices/issues
- Do you believe the media can be used as a platform to amplify the voices of local communities on issues that affect them while promoting a development agenda?
- Has the media given the people enough voice to air their views and opinions?
Voter and Civic education-democracy governance and voter education
- Has the media in the past been able to adequately encourage eligible persons to register as voters and to actually cast their ballot when elections are due?
- Do you think the media can expose the proliferation of defamation and hate speech in campaigns aimed at influencing nationals negatively?
- Is the media offering enough forums for debate involving citizens and the civil society to mediate and contribute in national development projects?
Election process/electoral bodies
- Do you think the media has succeeded in explaining the electoral process to the public?
Tracking implementation of reforms
- Do you think the Kenya government can conduct genuine investigations against the ICC suspects?
- Has the media done enough to highlight challenges in implementation of reforms?
- Has the media done much on awareness about the provision of the constitution?
Reflect party manifestos and play a watchdog role, internal party process
- Do you believe the media can play a watch dog role by exposing errors of commission or omission by those in power in their pursuit to cling to power at all cost?
- Has the media been able to alert citizens on electoral malpractices in the past?
- Has the media been able to give a comprehensive coverage of political party manifestos?